About Bryniau Tywynnog

What's a Bryniau Tywynnog?

Bryniau Tywynnog is the Kitchener-Waterloo branch of the Society for Creative Anachronism. For more information about the Society of Creative Anachronism, see our local SCA Info page.

Within the geography of the real world, we're located in southern Ontario, Canada, in the city of Kitchener-Waterloo.

Within the geography of the Society, we're located in the Barony of Ramshaven, within the Kingdom of Ealdormere

What does "Bryniau Tywynnog" mean?

"Bryniau Tywynnog" means "Sandy Hill".

The name of the canton of Bryniau Tywynnog is rooted in local history.

The original settlement which eventually became Kitchener: the seed of Kitchener-Waterloo, one might say, was founded in 1807, at the farm of Joseph Schneider, a Mennonite settler. The town was originally called Ben Eby's, after Bishop Benjamin Eby, another early settler. Later the town's name was changed to Ebytown, and finally, to "Sandhills". This is the root of the Canton's name.

Interestingly, Sandhills was renamed to Berlin in 1835, after a wave of German immigrants moved to the area, and largely displaced the original Mennonite settlers from the town proper. Due to the poor images associated with Berlin in the War, Berlin was renamed to Kitchener in 1916.

What's this green and yellow symbol that's all over the webpages?

The image on this page is Bryniau's device -- medieval heraldry. It is blazoned as "Or, a chevron vert surmounted by a tower gules between three laurel wreaths vert."

The device was registered with the SCA College of Arms in October of 1990.

 

Home Local Info SCA General Group Links Contact Calendar Site Map

The Device of Bryniau Tywynnog

last updated: April 23, 2009